Thursday, December 30, 2010

Pekin Veterinary Clinic

 Pekin Veterinary Clinic would like to wish everyone and their pets a safe and Happy New Year!

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

We're sure you and your pets had a great holiday, but keep them protected from dangers. When the leaves of a Poinsettia plant are chewed on, they can cause localized irritation of the mouth. If dogs or cats drink the water from your Christmas tree, it can cause digestive upset. Be aware of the extra hazards around the holidays, especially when taking down your decorations.

Thursday, December 23, 2010

Happy Holidays!

Pekin Veterinary Clinic would like to wish everyone and their pets a safe and Happy Holiday!

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Tis the season to be safe!

Tis the season to be safe! It’s easy for pets to get into trouble during the holidays. Look at all the fun stuff we provide for their curiosity. Gifts, decorations and holiday foods pose dangers for all pets. Be aware of the extra hazards around the holidays. Cats love to play with ribbons and tinsel! If ingested they can sometimes act as foreign bodies causing intestinal blockages. Make sure that your pets are protected from all the festivities this holiday season.

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Traveling with your pets this holiday season?

The holidays are approaching and many people are traveling to visit their families. Do you have any interesting holiday pet travel tips or stories to share? Leave a comment telling us your pet travel tips.

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Stocking up on hoiday goodies?

Are you stocking up on all the holiday goodies?  Beware of guests who may give your pet cookies, chocolate and other sweets. Those treats are not healthy for them. Your pet’s digestive system is not adapted for such rich foods, and chocolate contains theobromine, which can be harmful and sometimes fatal. Keep plenty of treats especially for your pet around so they don’t get the urge to try and sample some of your holiday feast.  Just a tip from Pekin Veterinary Clinic!

Friday, December 10, 2010

Advice for the colder winter months and holiday season

Heartworm Disease:
This mosquito-transmitted disease can be fatal to your dog. In areas that have a year-round mosquito problem it is recommended that dogs on a heartworm preventative throughout the year. After having your dog tested for heartworms by your veterinarian, ask about heartworm preventatives, available in chewable or pill form and given daily or monthly.
Be sure to provide proper shelter for your pets. If yours is an indoor pet, his bed or crate should be kept in a warm, draft-free area, preferably elevated slightly off the floor. If your pet is kept outdoors, provide a warm insulated pet house or shelter. The house should be elevated enough so that moisture cannot accumulate inside. If possible, provide a "door" (perhaps of canvas) to keep out the winter winds. If your pet is in a pen, you might block the wind and weather with bales of straw and stretch canvas over the top of the pen. If the wind chill or other weather conditions become severe, bring your pet inside. 
Remove ice and snow from your pet's paws and coat at once. Frostbitten skin may turn reddish, white or gray, and it may be scaly or sloughing. If you suspect frostbite, take your pet to a warm place immediately. Thaw out frostbitten areas slowly by applying warm, moist towels that are changed frequently. Continue until the affected areas become flushed. Contact your veterinarian as soon as possible; he/she will probably want to evaluate the seriousness of the condition.
Snow Removal Salt: 
Some substances produced to melt ice and snow have low to moderate toxicity, depending on the ingredients and amount ingested. Read the labels and take necessary precautions. Keep these products stored in tight containers out of your pet's and children's reach and be sure to remove salt from your pet's paws immediately.
Even a very small amount of antifreeze can be fatal. Precautions are necessary with all antifreeze products on the market. Read labels and warnings carefully. Thoroughly clean up spills at once. Keep containers closed tightly and store them where pets cannot get to them.
Napping Cats
Cats sometimes climb onto vehicle engines for warmth. Before starting your vehicle, knock on the hood and honk the horn. Even if your own cat does not have access to your vehicle, a neighbors cat might have taken shelter there.
Staying warm requires extra calories, so feed your pet accordingly when the temperature drops. Talk to your veterinarian for advice on feeding your pet.
Always have fresh, clean water available for your pet. If your pet is kept outdoors, be sure to check his water frequently since it may freeze.

The holidays can create special dangers for your pets. Here are a few tips to help keep your pets safe during this special time of year. 

* Increased activity and visitors during the holiday season can upset your pet's routine. Try to keep your pet on his regular schedule for feeding and exercise and be sure he gets plenty of love. 

* If you are planning to take your pet with you when visiting friends and relatives during the holiday season, be sure to contact them in advance to find out if your pet is welcome. Because of the excitement during this season, it might be best for you and your pet to board your pet or hire a reputable pet sitter. 

* Alcoholic beverages, holiday treats such as chocolates, rich, fatty food scraps and bones can be harmful or toxic to pets. Keep your pet on his regular diet and caution visitors against giving your pet "special treats". 

* Never put ribbons or yarn around your pets neck and do not allow your pet to play with plastic or foil wrappings or six-pack beverage holders.

* Cover or tack down electrical cords.  


Mistletoe-Very toxic, all parts, especially the berries
Holly-Moderate to very toxic, especially the berries and leaves
Poinsettia-Leaves and stems low in toxicity
Christmas Greens such as Balsam, Juniper, Cedar, Pine and Fir-All parts of these plants have a low level of toxicity
Hibiscus- May cause vomiting or bloody diarrhea if ingested
Keep toxic plants out of your pet's and children's reach! 

Holiday Decorations: 
Bubbling Lights- Moderate to lethal toxicity, depending on the amount of fluid (methylene chloride) inhaled or ingested
Fireplace Colors (fire salts)- Moderate toxicity; symptoms are gastrointestinal irritation with vomiting and a variety of other manifestations including convulsions

Angel Hair (spun glass)- Low toxicity; can cause irritation of the eyes, skin and gastrointestinal tract
Christmas Tree Preventative Solution- Low toxicity, depending upon formulation and quantity ingested
Snow Sprays and Snow Flock- Low toxicity, dry particles are inert; however, toxicity from inhalation can occur if sprayed directly in mouth
Styrofoam- Low toxicity; can cause choking from mechanical obstruction.
Christmas Tree Ornaments-Non-toxic, however intestinal obstruction and choking are potential problems
Icicles (tinsel)- Non-toxic, however intestinal obstruction and choking are potential problems
Snow Scenes-Toxicity may come from organisms possibly in the water, most notably Salmonella
Read label warnings on all decorations and take the necessary precautions to protect your pet!

Gifts and Miscellaneous Items:
Button Battery (disk battery)- Caustic, potentially high toxicity depending upon the position of the battery in gastrointestinal tract
Aftershave lotion, Colognes, Perfumes, Alcoholic Beverages- Ethanol in various concentrations is moderately toxic depending upon the amount ingested. The high concentrations of essential oils in true perfumes are especially toxic
Plastic Model Cement- Moderate toxicity
Epoxy Adhesive Uncured Hardener- moderate to high toxicity. Uncured resin: low toxicity
Adhesives, Super Glue- Low toxicity, most difficulty occurs when eyelids become bonded together. 
Artists' supplies: Crayons, Felt Tip Markers, Pencils, Water-based Paints: Low toxicity; however, may cause more than a mild mucous membrane and gastrointestinal irritation. 
Petroleum-based Paints-Low toxicity; primary concern is possibility or aspiration.
Toys- Avoid toys with parts small enough to be pulled off and swallowed and toys painted with toxic materials, etc. 
Use same precautions as with children.

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Pet of the Month

This is Smokey McAtee and he is owned by MaryAnne McAtee and we are proud to honor him as our Pet of the Month at Pekin Veterinary Clinic.

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Decorating Dangers

The holidays are a great time for everyone, including your pet, but take precautions this decorating season. Glass ornaments and tinsel can be harmful if swallowed. Extension cords, if chewed, can electrocute your pet. Keep pets safe while decorating for the holiday season.

Monday, December 6, 2010

Team Member of the Month

Pekin Veterinary Clinic would like to honor Dr. Amy Waggoner as our Team Member of the Month. Becoming a veterinarian has been Dr. Waggoner's lifelong dream. She realized very early in life how much our pets give to us while asking so little in return. She has made it her life’s goal to give back to them the best way s...he knew how - by adding both quality and quantity to their lives while enhancing that wonderful bond between pets and their owners. We thank Dr. Amy Waggoner for all of her contributions to the clinic.