Owning a dog is not just a privilege-it's a responsibility. These animals depend on us for, at minimum, food and shelter, and deserve much more. If you are considering taking a dog into your life, you need to think seriously about the commitment that dog ownership entails. If you already have a dog, you need to consider if you are fulfilling all your obligations as its owner.
Here are some essential tips on being the best pet owner you can be:
- Think first- For example, recognize the commitment, evaluate your lifestyle, make a list, choose a breed, get a good breeder referral, contact some breeders in your area.
- Make the Commitment- pick your pet after you have researched the type of breed you want your pet to be, including their health risks.
- Get Ready- Dog proof your home, make a schedule for you and your pet, buy some toys, a collar, contact your Veterinarian!
- Bring Your Dog Home- Housetrain, set house rules, name your dog, let your dog adjust, keep your dog healthy.
- Be a Friend- Play! Go on Walks, Talk to your dog, Give treats, Love your dog, give your time, leave the radio on, plan activities with your dog, give a massage, make that tail wag, go on trips, etc.